Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ponderings during a Mellow Day

Chihuly at the Bronx Botanical Garden June through October 2006

Finished Monique and the Mango Rains last night. Cried and cried through the last parts - almost unable to see. Not just for the loss to her family, friends and community of a good woman, but for the incredible effort it takes and pain lived with in some parts of the world to live at all, and especially to live in service to others.

I looked at my Palm calendar for today a day or so ago and it was BLANK! I almost fainted. Not even a reminder to check the oil on the Ford or update my cell phone with *228. I feel so squeaky free! So here I am, FREE. I am thinking about plans for the 4th of July and a dinner guest the night before. I’m going through recipes to resurrect an old one for Cuban Bread from the "Tightwad Gazette" back in the 80's and an Indonesian Rice Salad from the Moosewood Cookbook. Stumbled on this broccoli recipe that is amazingly good.

Lou Ann Hornik’s Broccoli Salad - Powell House’s Wahaba Hornik’s mom’s recipe.

Into a large plastic bag or container put:
2 heads fresh broccoli (cut into florets and peel and slice stems)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1-cup raisins

Combine the above. Add the following dressing:
1-cup mayonnaise
1 T cider vinegar
½ cup sugar (or 1/3 cup warmed honey)
Let this part sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Just before serving add either
1 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
OR
1 lb. fried bacon crumbled (or vegetable based bacon bits)
1 cup chopped walnuts

(If you double the recipe, don’t double the dressing)

We (mostly Bob) just put out the sunshade on our deck and added round Japanese style lanterns that will provide just a little colorful light in the evening. The part of me that would love to live in NYC is assuaged by such “luxury”. It is an old, much used sun shade and the lanterns were on sale for 50% off at a hardware store upstate when we went up there for Memorial Day weekend.
This week I saw some pictures from a friend of an installation Chihuly did in Florida and went to his website to see how many places he has installed works or where his work has traveled.
Last fall we made a visit to the Bronx Botanical Garden. The friend from out of state who organized the trip flipped over the gardens themselves and I over the Chihuly exhibit that provided the impetus for the adventure together.

No comments: